Tuesday, January 03, 2006

China pearls... or, purls....



























Many orphanages (and homes, apartments, and shops, etc.) in China have no heat. Yes, you read that correctly. Many buildings are not equipped with central heating. As a result, thousands of babies and children suffer through cold winters without heat. They need warm clothing, and they don't have enough of that, either. I decided that I can do something to help. When I was six years old, my babysitter Hattie, taught me to knit and crochet. My goal is to knit/crochet a minimum of 100 warm hats and 100 scarves to donate to an orphanage when we travel to China. Maybe some for the nannies, too! Here are the few I've done so far... (the doll is a life-size baby doll that Ariel played with when she was a baby)... only 192 more pieces to go!!


2 comments:

M said...

That's a wonderful idea! Cute hats & scarves!

High Plains Drifter said...

I love that you are knitting for the children in the SWIs. It's such a great idea! I am also a knitter and plan to do the same (I just haven't started yet...).
-Jen (owenandmei.com)