Monday, February 04, 2008

2 YEAR LID ANNIVERSARY



February 6, 2006 - February 6, 2008

This week we "celebrate" our two year LID anniversary. I sure never saw this coming. Sometimes I reflect on what we've been told through these (yikes) years:

"The wait is six months and very stable."
"The wait is increasing but we expect it to stabilize at 12 months."
"The wait may go to 18 months."
"The CCAA says a 24 month wait is unacceptable."

I think about what people have said:

"Why don't you adopt domestically?"
"Why do you want a Chinese baby?"
"Why have you been waiting so long?"
"What's wrong with your agency?"
"Are you still adopting?"

Lately, what people don't say is more striking. They have completely stopped asking or commenting, as if this adoption is not real or has somehow vaporized, like an idea that never came to fruition.

Through the experience of The Wait, I have learned to be much more patient. I wrote here, maybe two years ago or more, that my motto used to be "I want patience and I want it NOW." This process has been exhilarating, frustrating, upsetting and bewildering. But we're still here and we're not giving up. No matter how long it takes, we will bring Kavanna home!

9 comments:

Valerie said...

Oh Nina. I'm sorry. I can completely relate. And if it's any comfort, we've been waiting a lot less than you and people still don't ever mention it for the most part. I think that they are really just afraid and have your best interest in mind. It's ok to remind them!

I really admire your determination and resolve to bring Kavanna home. It WILL happen!
xoValerie

chad-roscoe said...

Holey frijoles, we have heard all those things, haven't we? Did you see the first referral listed on the RQ? 16 months! Now where has that little girl been for 10 months when she could have been in a home? And they don't have enough babies to refer? Can I just quote Charlie Brown here? ARRRRRRRGH!
I am so glad we have you to wait with, and I hope Kavanna is home with you this year!
xx~
Di

Mirriam Seddiq said...

oh gosh, I keep checking in on you (from FT) and hoping, hoping hoping. My agency just had a stork land today for folks logged in Dec. 20 so you are so close!!! It's close!!!!! I know she will be home with you soon. We are rooting for you.

m.

Alyson and Ford said...

24 Months - Two Years... WOW! Love your spirit. We relate very well to what others have and haven't said to you all. At this point, we explain little and just smile,knowing that each of us will soon celebrate our Forever Day.

Congrats again on 24!

peace
fm

C's Mom said...

I hear ya. Who ever would have guessed? I had a hospital staffer ask me today..'So, did you hang up that adoption idea?' I try so hard to be pleasant but sometimes I'm not as good as I would like to be.

At least I feel fairly assured our 2 won't become 3. That's about all I can say for it right now though.

Hearing you and knowing exactly what you mean :0)

Ninalindy said...

I am so sorry. Two years is 18 months too long. We actually HAD the very same LID of 2-6-06 but switched countries and have had our daughter home for 8 months now. I continue to follow China but I would not have had the strength to wait it out like you. The moment you meet your daughter will be so sweet and I'll send good thoughts that it's very soon.

Christi and Abbey said...

So glad David is okay, we've had enough rain and enough waiting, right? You are so right that you are in this for the long haul and you will bring your daughter home!

Rosie said...

2 years...wowow!!
Its really hard and we'll be 15 months this week.
It can't be much longer for you...you've waited long enough.

bb said...

Hey Nina, I think people stop commenting because they just don't know what to say. I don't know what to say either...
Except you all especially (JAN, FEB, MARCH LIDs) have it the worst because you were expecting only 6 months not OVER 2 years. Hugs.
Beth