Monday, September 04, 2006

EXTENDING THE I-171H

EXTENDING THE I-171H!! Even if you're just starting the process, this bill may affect you!!

Currently the I-171H expires after 18 months. There's a bill in Congress that seeks to extend it to two years. The House will reconvene after Labor Day, so it's important to contact the members of the Judiciary House Committee on Immigration and urge each of them to push this bill through. Unless the bill passes this Committee, it will never get any further. The House members on this Committee are located here:
http://judiciary.house.gov/committeestructure.aspx?committee=4

I just emailed everyone on the subcommittee, and hopefully if lots of you will do so as well. Together, we can effect some change!! This is what I wrote:

My husband and I are writing to request your support for the Helping Families Adopt Orphans Act(SB HR5888). The I-171H is currently valid for 18 months but for those of us adopting from China, the wait has doubled and is continue to lengthen, requiring us to re-do this paperwork, a considerable financial burden ($2500-3000 for some of us, given that we also have to renew our homestudy). Extending the I-171H to two years would help thousands of families across the country, as well as keep the already backlogged USCIS from the burden of having to renew all the paperwork. We urge your support for this legislation! Sincerely,

Feel free to cut and paste this message on your emails. Emailing the entire subcommittee only takes about 15 minutes. I urge everyone to write the members of this subcommittee and help get that bill passed!!

No comments: