Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Goodbye, old friend...



Roy came into our lives unexpectedly. Eleven years ago Ariel and I went to the mall, where there happened to be a dog adoption event hosted by the local pound. All the dogs were getting tons of attention... all but one, a skinny, trembling Shephard/Lab mix named (by the people at the shelter) Elroy. If he did not get adopted that day, he was headed for puppy heaven the next. It didn't look good. He was a street dog who'd been attacked by other dogs, and by life. His ear had been torn in half. Huge patches of fur were missing. He smelled terrible.

Ariel headed straight for him. She was two years old and she knew what she wanted. She wanted Roy. I had not expected to bring another dog into our home... but I did.

And so he came into our lives and we grew to love this shy, anxious, and incredibly sweet soul. His boundless energy gave way to a slower pace. He loved to lie on plush, soft spaces. He echewed the back yard. I think he had enough of the outdoors while he was living on the streets. He loved to lie on the couch and rest. He followed us wherever we went, a faithful furry shadow.

In the last couple of years he slowed down. He lost 20 lbs. He developed a limp. He could no longer jump onto the couch. He's been on all kinds of medications, none of which slowed his decline. He grew confused. He peed on a guest and seemed oblivious to what he was doing. There were times when I was really frustrated with him, which made me feel really guilty. On Monday he could no longer get up or walk, so we knew it was time to let him go.

I have never had to put a dog to sleep and it was a terrible experience. David, Ariel and I petted him and I kissed his head. We said goodbye as the vet injected the medication and cried as Roy took his last breaths.

I miss the clatter of his paws on our wood floors. I miss his constant presence, his soulful gaze. The silence in our house is deafening.

Au revoir, Roy.

21 comments:

C's Mom said...

I am so sincerely sorry.

M said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

Nina, David and Ariel - I'm so sad to hear about Roy. Barney is also having his troubles and it is very sad for us as well These guys are really part of our families. I send you lots of love.
Wendy

walternatives said...

My heart goes out to you and your family. I'm so sorry.

Alyson and Ford said...

This one was hard for me to read. I know more about you all now than I could have ever known otherwise because of the love and devotion you had and you showed to Roy. Life is good and you shared it with a humble creature of God's. Bless your souls. You're good people. Bye Roy. SO sorry for you all...

fm

The Pete and Betty Show said...

I am so sorry for your loss. What a special creature you had. They makes us better people.

chad-roscoe said...

Oh! The tears are just running down my face. I am so sorry that Roy had to go to his next life and leave you all missing him so. I always forget my babies are just on loan, and it is so hard when they have to go on to another place before we're ready for them.
Big kisses to all of you.
XXX~
Di & Dave & Chad too
(the cats, I am ashamed to say, are without empathy.)

Anonymous said...

Oh Nina, I'm so, so very sorry. I know it must have been very difficult for all of you. I know Roy was a special gift for all of you and I know he and your family shared much joy together. I know when I adopted KiKi, she transformed a lot of how I felt (I don't have kids) yet, but, I feel in alot of ways she has prepared me to some degree, or heck -alot.. I know you are sad, and this does not make it easer, but at least Roy is in a peaceful place. And, again, I know that really is not much comfort... I'm truly sorry for the loss. I'm thinking of all you and especially of your sweet furry one who loved you and vice a versa - unconditionally! Many, many hugs.

Sira said...

Hello I am Sira- We just brought home our little boy from Russia. I am so sorry for your loss. I have two at home and I totally understand your grief. He is now is a better place. It is so nice that they grace our lives but they do seem to leave to soon.

Sira

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so very sorry, it is such an awful loss to go thru, every time I read about it it makes me cry reminding me of my losses. it does get easier but you never forget those wonderful animals that are a part of your family..
thoughts and prayers with you all

Rosie said...

Its very sad.We have put to sleep two of our beloved pets and its hard.

GGHadden said...

I am so sorry to hear this about your Roy...remember the good times always!

Johnny said...

I'm sorry for your loss. But, for 11 years you gave him home, love, and a life he wouldn't have had. The tears were for a good reason.

Michele M said...

I'm so sorry to read of your loss. Only someone who was lucky enough to be loved by a pet can truly understand your loss. I brings up old feelings of my own losses.

Rosie said...

Please pass on the Dove of Peace..check out my blog.
Hope you are ok and feeling a bit better.Its hard though.

Don and Be said...

We are new to your blog and as fellow dog lovers, want to express our sincere sorrow at Roy's passing. Your love for him is very evident in your post. We have a pound puppy, Diva, (an 85 pounder) and know that one day, we'll be without her - it's a hard reality. God bless your family. And our admiration goes out to you for your hearts for adoption - you are, perhaps, seeing a light at the end of the waiting room tunnel. We see that you are over 17 months from log in. We are on the same journey and have just passed the 16 month mark.
Cheers,
Don & Be

Christi and Abbey said...

tears for you all

Rosie said...

Hi ya,
Have a blog at http://wwwsendadoveofpeace.blogspot.com/
hey lets make a difference and see who hears us!
hugs

Mel said...

I'm so sorry about Roy. We just lost our beloved kitty recently so I know how it feels to lose a furry child. Hugs to you.

Gail said...

I just stumbled onto your blog.
I am so sorry for the loss of your fur baby.
You will meet again at the "Rainbow Bridge"

Lori said...

What a beautiful story, it got me a bit choked up. I'm sorry for your loss, it's very hard to lose such a loyal pet.