Monday, August 20, 2007

Am I crazy, or what?




I've always planned to go back to school to get a doctorate in psychoanalysis. At some point during this long wait I decided not to put my life on hold and applied. Today I found out that I was accepted into the program. Classes are only once a week, and David will work from home on the day that I'm in school so that Ariel and Kavanna (when she arrives) will always have a parent. I'll have to juggle raising a teenager and (next year) a baby with being in analysis four times a week (the mainstay of psychoanalysis) and my private practice, but I can do it!!

I admit to feelings of guilt about this decision. I've waited so long for Kavanna. Shouldn't I drop everything and be her mom 24 hours a day, which I did for Ariel? Or can I be a different kind of mom? The difference between raising Ariel and raising Kavanna is David, who will be there, and wants to be there, and is is a true partner as a parent.

Do I sound as if I'm trying to talk myself into something? Maybe.

Can women have it all? Can men? I'd like to think so. You tell me: am I crazy, or what?

7 comments:

C's Mom said...

Good for you. That sounds like some exciting change ahead.

I think when you've got a great team approach to things it makes having 'it all' more attainable. At the end of the day, to me, having each other is truly having it all. You've got that!

chad-roscoe said...

wow, you have to be in analysis to become an analyst? I think i would quickly run out of things to say and start inventing!
i think you'll do fine doing it all, and, if it turns out you don't like doing it all, you can always stop.
:D
But c'mon, you know you can do it.
xx~
Di

Cavatica said...

I think moving forward with your own life can only be good for your children. Having a parent partner should make all the difference in the world.

You might be crazy, but do it anyway. Besides, you need the analysis to find out if you're crazy. I say GO FOR IT!!!

Valerie said...

No Nina, you're not crazy. Yes Nina, you can do both. Yes Nina, you'll continue to be a great mom. Yes Nina, you'll be a great psycho-analysiser doctor(huh).

Congrats on being accepted. Life is not a dress rehearsal. If not now....when?

Alyson and Ford said...

Congratulations!

Wow - how I would love to know more about what makes me tick and why.

The team approach works. Families striving to be a fully functioning, loving "family" work at it 24/7 and each have found what works for them. Go for it. You are never less of a person or less of a parent/spouse to your family by trying to be more of yourself when love guides and supports that very effort.

Kavanna will have great role models in her family. Congratulations on realizing that it's not selfish to also love ourselves and work to make our dreams come true. And to ultimately share those dreams turn to fulfillment with Our Family...

M,R,J1,J2 said...

You're not crazy! You can have it all! If you're happy, your family will be happy!
Best of luck!
Michaela
LID: 05/24/06

Anonymous said...

Nina, We both have the same LID and agency, so we will probably travel together....Greetings from Texas!!!! Found your link through RQ.

Mara