Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Censorship

I am extremely grateful for the Rumor Queen site for the information and connections I find there. However, this week I found a disturbing trend, which was that moderators who personally objected to certain comments and/or lines of discussion were locking the threads.  One person wondered how the earthquake would affect international adoption.  In response, she was vilified and excoriated for simply posing the question, as if only a self-serving terrible person would dare to wonder how the earthquake might personally impact her.  I posted the following response, which I would like to share with anybody who cares to read it; shortly after my post, the moderator locked the thread.  The RQ royalty may be at times totalitarian, but the internet renders us a democracy and gives everyone a voice.   Here is mine:


Re: The impact of the earthquake on IA???

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2008, 10:59:57 AM »

I may be missing something, but I didn't read any posts in which the writers hoped to somehow benefit from this tragic earthquake; rather, I extrapolated a realistic fear that the process would further slow down and thus directly impact all of us waiting parents.  What I'd like to suggest is that it is possible to both be horrified and saddened by the events taking place in China (and other parts of the world, for that matter) AND to wonder how this might affect the IA process.  


There seems to be a sense that wondering how the events of this week will impact us PAPs is unseemly and indicative of a moral transgression.  Yet, how can we not wonder how it will impact us?  In all likelihood it will impact us in some way and I think it's okay to have a forum in which we explore that question without fear of being vilified for this very human concern.  Again, wondering how the earthquake will affect our wait does not - to me - nullify any other feelings and thoughts of concern and compassion we have towards those people suffering in China. 


Speaking from my own experience, I watch the coverage and weep... as I have since Monday.  The devastation and destruction of lives is unimaginable and horrific.   My eyes are filling with tears as I write these words.


I also wonder about my daughter, where she is, and what she experienced.  Our LID is 2/06/06, so I believe she's been born.  When my bio daughter was two weeks old, the L.A. earthquake hit.  I was nursing her at the time and somehow I got to the doorway as the house rumbled and swayed and all I could think of was how I could protect her when the house collapsed (it didin't).  It's  painful to think of all the babies and children in China who didn't have someone holding them in comforting arms as the world shook.


Then I wonder if the process will slow down, and if so, if so many children who could go to loving homes will have to wait in orphanages.


And yes, I wonder how much longer the wait will be for me and for those after me. 


I hold all of these thoughts and feelings.  Concern for the wait does not outweigh or mitigate my concern for the Chinese people in this terrible time.  One does not cancel out the other.   I do not believe that my thoughts are illegitimate because I don't actually have a referral yet. 


This forum is supposed to be a safe place for us to express our concerns and feelings without condemnation.  Let's keep it that way.


11 comments:

Ellen said...

I agree on every front! I wondered why the mods locked that thread. I, too, feel like it was a reasonable question to ask. One that did not negate the tragedy in China. No one would stop to rethink a question like how does this event effect the Chinese economy. Just because we have a personal interest does not mean we are not emotional and saddened by the earthquakes.
As usual well said, Nina.

chad-roscoe said...

I am very proud to know you, as usual.
I think the RQ and cronies have the big fish in a small pond syndrome.
People like you know there is a larger world beyond their tiny pond.
I'm so glad you are one of the people I know on this trip.
xx~
Di

Christi and Abbey said...

Go Nina, a voice of reason!
I am thrilled that they are finally getting close to your LID. You're finish line (which is really your starting line) is in sight!

Alyson and Ford said...

Well thought out and expressed. I have never been a big fan of censorship and to challenge it puts you in someone or some groups cross hairs most every time. The purpose of which is to discourage us from speaking our mind. I'm proud of you for speaking up. I like what yo have to say, Again, very well thought through and written.

peace
fm

Rosie said...

I thought we had freedom of speech.Last night on the BBC they were saying that there were 40,000 orphans.
What you have said is what everyone has thought.

C's Mom said...

VERY well stated.

I'm no fan of censorship either.

Melissa said...

I can't agree with you more! I had the same questions as the original poster but was not brave enough to ask them. Thankk you for speaking up for everyone!

Cavatica said...

You're right, but the issue needs to be addressed carefully and tastefully - as you have.

Jennifer said...

I agree. I have been a long time reader in there myself and it seems lately they are closing threads left and right.
I also wondered about this myself but waited to see what others might say.
I have wanted to respond back to so many other topics in there and didn't because I see how some are treated.
Like I have told so many in my own LID group. "We are all in this long boat together and that is why we are here, to support eachother"

Rosie said...

Referral soon!!! Oh I';m excited for you!!

chad-roscoe said...

Look, they did it again....
This was a post about censorship, and the mods clamped it down:
http://chinaadopttalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=20957.15
Not a good place. Very much like China though!
;)
Di