Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Where is the time going?

I love this photo of Kavanna and me!
Okay, this is truly one of the worst photos of me ever taken (and I can't believe I'm posting it on a public forum, ugh... but vanity shmanity)... but it's a great photo of Kavanna and really captures what she really looks like in a way that a lot of photos just don't.  A lot of people have told me, "Oh, she's so much cuter in person than she is in photos," and here's a photo that truly captures her.    
And by the way, what do I do with that comment about her being cuter in person?  I decided to take it as a compliment.  But, yikes, what do you say to that?  
Sleeping in her stroller clutching a musical doll (it's supposed to be a worm that sings... what insane person decided that worms were cute???) and... a box of Johnson & Johnson lavender scented disposable baby washcloths.  She decided that box was her favorite thing on earth and wouldn't let it go all day.  I don't get it.  I don't think I ever will get it.  But sheesh, how cute is that?
Kavanna getting ready for a walk on another day, having replaced the singing worm and the box of disposable washcloths with two teddy bears. 
Bliss is two soft teddy bears...
Kavanna loves her carseat, now.
Ariel... the artsy, beautiful, smart and funny big sister.  I don't know why she's wearing this hat, since it's been 80 degrees for two weeks... but it looks good on her and when you're 15, style is everything.

How is it possible that we're hurtling towards the end of January?  It seems as if I blink and two weeks whiz past.  I guess time does fly when you're having fun - and chasing a 14 month old baby around the house, and playing pattycake, and having heart-to-heart talks with a 15 year old about boys and art and Life.

Life is good.

13 comments:

ww said...

Hi! I would take that as a compliment - Kavanna is beautiful and soooo cute in her photos, so if she's cuter in person - WOW! Love her smile and eyes - and she really resembles your family. Blessings, Wendy

Anonymous said...

OMG, the glow worm was the only toy we took to China. My girl at 3 still sleeps with it and plays with it at.

Glad you are all settling in
ldw4mlo

C's Mom said...

I love the photos and think the one of the two of you is beautiful. Ariel, as always, remains gorgeous.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what to think of such comments either after hearing "She was cuter without hair" when I showed an updated picture of my girl with some hair. For a moment, I tried to figure out what it all means and then gave up. We know our girls are stunners in person or in pictures - with hair or without :0)

Rosie said...

Kavanna is adorable ...full stop...

DBW said...

Nina, I think that is one of the nicest pictures I've seen of you--you look so--natural--I can't imagine why you wouldn't like the picture...
I envy you, being able to go out for walks. Suzanne took Frances for one walk in her stroller on the day after they arrived in Michigan, and we have been more or less indoors since then. Today they are talking about a "huge warm up" with 25-35 degree temps--we salivate at the possibility of temps rising above freezing. Then temperatures will plunge back to subzero windchills by the weekend.
And Kavanna is cute--however you look at it. Taste is so subjective and beauty is only skin deep, don't set much store on any individual's opinion.

Anonymous said...

Nina, that photo says it all, you are both so beautiful. Actually, all your fammily is. And, I love Ariels style. And, btw, werid, I swear just yesterday, I was telling Gale, it's funny how when our friends meet Li Na for the first time, they say the exact same phrase "oh, she's so much prettier than her picture"... what do you say to that., uh umm, thanks... anyway, I hope you and Kavanna and family can come up for a visit. love,

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

She is sooo adorable! I love the pic with her belly button peeking out.

Cavatica said...

One of the things I love about little kids is their love of the weirdest of things. We get them dolls and stuffed animals, but they love washcloth boxes. Yup. BB dearly loved coasters. Boxes are still good. Clearly the expensive toys are for us.

chad-roscoe said...

Oh boy! I think that was me said that! Well, I don't know why, but every China-girl I've seen looks less adorable on film than in person. But, maybe what it is, is that the opposite is actually what's true: they are all pretty darn cute in photos, but maybe they are so much more wonderful live that the photos pale by comparison? Or maybe it's just a waiting mom thing. I've seen plenty of photos of kids in my day, but live ones are much nicer to me.
:)
xx~
Di
(trying very hard to yoga-my foot up to where I can insert it in my mouth!)

RocĂ­o said...

Hi from Spain!! I have no words to express how cute, gorgeous, beautiful kavanna is!! I love the photograph the one of the two of you, I´m glad you have posted here.

Love and Kisses
Rocio ( 1 day to get our referal)

Christi and Abbey said...

kavanna is plenty cute in photos, I just think people love seeing the animation and personality face to face. she's a doll

Susan said...

Georgiana loves, loves, loves her glow worm! I can't even imagine Kavanna being cuter in person than she looks on your blog. She is ADORABLE!!!

susan
mom to Georgiana dob 1/7/2008, ours forever 12/8/2008

Alyson and Ford said...

K. is cute; love the picture with her looking at you. Adorable!

Alyzabeth's Mommy