Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Fear & Gratitude

My grandmother had breast cancer and as a result I started having mammograms at 35 and I have them yearly.  There's never been an issue.   Last Wednesday I went in for my annual mammogram.  I left the facility at 3 o'clock.  At 5 o'clock I got a call from someone at the women's center.
She said, "Your mammogram was abnormal.  You need to come back for some more views and an ultraound.  Don't worry, this happens all the time."
I heard, "You have cancer.  You will die."
I thought, "I won't see my children grow up."
I went into research mode.  I like to anticipate the worst possible outcome so that I can plan on what do do next.  It gives me the illusion of control.  
My follow-up was scheduled for Monday afternoon, which meant that last weekend was one of the longest weekends of my life.  I tried to stay busy and keep my mind from thinking catastrophic thoughts.  I have a tendency to be something of a hypochondriac so it wasn't easy.  When I was 15 I had a headache and was convinced it was a brain tumor.  You know Woody Allen's character in Hannah & Her Sisters?  That's me.
I also realized what I wasn't thinking - no coulda/woulda/shoulda regrets.  Nothing like, "If I had just done... (fill in the blank)...".  I only felt grateful I am for the life I have, exactly how it is, and how I just want more of what I have.
Over the weekend, breast cancer was everywhere I look.  A patient told me she just found out a friend died of breast cancer at the age of 29.
I pulled into the parking lot of Babies R Us and parked next to a car with a "Save The TaTas" sticker.
Every time I put on the TV I saw the Kaiser ad for mammograms, with the song, "When I grow up I want to be an old woman..."
It was a long freaking weekend.
Monday at 3 o'clock.  I had the follow-up mammogram.  The technician told me to wait for the ultrasound.
I waited.  And waited.  And waited.
Finally I got to the ultrasound room.  I watched the screen, convinced that my breast was full of cancerous blobs.  I said, hesitantly, "Do you see anything?"
After a long pause (that could have been a millisecond) she said, "I don't see anything."
The radiologist confirmed that all was fine.  Whatever they thought they saw last week was no longer there.
I can't describe the relief.  This experience has made me even more grateful and appreciative for my amazing husband and daughters... and for my friends.
And if someone out there is putting off having a mammogram, make the call today.  It could save your life.

14 comments:

Mama Melissa said...

Thank you for the reminder. And, I'm SO glad it worked out ok and there there is nothing to be worried about now.

Blessings,
Melissa

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

I am very glad that everything is OK. I had to have a breast U/S once and all was fine. But a great reminder to get squished & don't forget the pap!

Anonymous said...

I am very happy it is not a battle you have to fight.

Hugs I think a celebratory drink is in order

Anonymous said...

Nina--I've been going through the exact same situation...except my ultrasound didn't look good and I'm scheduled for a biopsy in...brace yourself...2 WEEKS! I am trying to stay positive and busy, but good grief...this will be a loooong 2 weeks! I'm so glad yours was a false alarm and I hope mine will be too!!

Kris

C's Mom said...

I'm so sorry you went through that anxiety.

I make that call nearly every day and although I can say without a doubt that greater than 95% will turn out to be nothing it doesn't help anyone on the receiving end of the call feel better.

Glad all is well.

Diana said...

I have had to go back before and it is so scary!!! I am happy that yours came back OK:)
We do need to remind each other as a reminder can save one of our "sistas" lives!!!
Enjoy your daughters..they both are beautiful!!!

Cavatica said...

So glad everything came out okay.

Rosie said...

My Mum had breast cancer twice and my great grandmother and thus I now have check ups and scans once a year.In the UK we normally only have them after we are 50 but I'm 38 and having them aswell due to family history.It can be a real burden,knowing its a ticking time bomb but we have an advantage that we have the check ups earlier than anyone else and our odds are only 10%

Mel said...

I'm having mine on Friday. I'm glad everything was okay. I hate when doctors scare you like that!

Valerie said...

One word. Whew.

Susan said...

Wow, so stressfull. Very glad that everything is just fine.

susan

Alyson and Ford said...

What a scare! Glad to know all is well. I have been down that road all the way to removing the lump before it was finally declared benign. Scary!

Alyzabeth's Mommy for FIVE Months!

Doug and Terrye said...

You are a very brave and wise woman. I applaud you for facing your challenge head on, and acting at an early age! You are an inspiration, and I hope others take up your challenge.

Terrye in FL

chad-roscoe said...

I haven't checked blogs in so long! I'm so sorry I missed this. You should have called me! I would worry and research with you! I had the same thing happen to me 2 years ago. Of course, I haven't been back since. I hated that letter, but the ultra sound was a relief! I have to go again soon (I have the form from my gyn next to me!). Two people I know have had breast biopsis this year. :P
I am so glad you are okay!
xx~
Di