Monday, May 04, 2009

Kavanna is recovering from pneumonia (she'll be fine and has made an extraordinary recovery).   She had a cold on Wednesday and was so backed up she literally had snot coming out of her eyes.  There's no way to say that other than that.  Truly gross.  We went to the doctor fearing conjunctivitis but were assured that she was fine, just so congested that stuff was coming out of other orifices.  
Friday she woke up from a nap with a fever that kept climbing despite tylenol.  We ended up at pediatric urgent care.  She has a fever of 105 and her oxygen was low.  They did a chest x-ray and found pneumonia.  It was a very scary few hours.
Thanks to the miracle of antibiotics she is on the mend and was 100 percent better by the next day.  We just came back from the doctor, who said she's making a great recovery.
It's almost impossible to believe that it was just over six months ago that we became a forever family... she's such a joy in all our lives.  Holding her while she was burning up with fever was one of the scariest moments in my life.  I'm so grateful that she's going to be okay.  Kids are so resilient!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness - I'm so glad she's okay and so are you! I have been waiting for your update. Hallelujah!

Mei Ling said...

Hi Nina,

I'm so sorry to hear Kavanna had an pneumonia. I know that must have been frightening!! Especially, with the 105 temp.. that would have scared me too. Anyway,I'm glad she's recovering quickly, and I can't wait to see more pics and of your family all having fun.
I know what you mean about the hospital. We had to take Li Na to the hospital last week too, she has a minor fracture on her foot. The good news it was minor, so she was only off her feet for a couple of days -she's a trooper, and now can walk, climb and play again. I swear nothing slows that girl down... I believe we both have strong, determined little ones, who are just like their mommies.... Happy, Happy Mothers Day to you. You are so lucky to have two beautiful daughters, and a great hubby too. And, also a happy belated 6-month anniversary... I know what you mean too, I love being a mommy, and can't believe how the mos. have passed so quickly... hugs, xxoo, Mei Ling

M said...

How scary for you and how miserable for Kavanna - glad to hear she's feeling better!

Susan said...

I'm so glad that Kavanna is feeling much better. How scary that must have been for all of you. We haven't had any illnesses or injuries yet but I'm sure our turn will come. Can't say I'm looking forward to it.

susan

Laura said...

Nina: I'm so relieved to know Kavanna is feeling better. It must have been so scarey.

Kristina has been hospitalized a few times at the orphanage and once for double pneumonia so I'll be keeping an eye on her when we get home.

Take care and hugs to that little girl of yours! (wow--six months already???)

~Laura xoxo

Billy and Maggie said...

Nina, so sorry to hear about Kavanna being sick..very glad to hear she is on the mend. That truly sounds like a scary experience. Please give her big hugs from her old friend and China playmate Olivia.

Patience432 said...

Nina,

I'm so glad to hear that Kavanna is doing better. I can only imagine how scary that was for you and David. Take care and please gie her a hug from Lidi, her travel mate.

Best,

Dee

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Poor baby! I hope she gets well soon!

Alyson and Ford said...

Hope you are all well now. We haven't experienced a fever yet with AA. Happy 6 months being home!

Alyzabeth's Mommy

DBW said...

I can relate to that powerless feeling of holding a very sick child. Thank goodness she got meds and is doing better... I don't know who these illnesses are harder on--parents or children. Frances, by the way, fell flat on her face at Costco yesterday and busted her lip open yet again.