Thursday, August 24, 2006

Back from Chicago!





















































We're back from a wonderful visit to David's parents in Chicago. I'm lucky enough to have the world's best in-laws and we all had a great visit. We walked down Michigan Avenue to the Art Institute and soaked in its impressive Impressionist Collection. David and I may be the only people who were disappointed in the Musee D'Orsay in Paris; its collection is simply not comparable to that at the Chicago Art Institute. I could look at a Renoir painting for hours; his paintings are so alive and evocative, and they make me happy.

The last day of our trip we took Lori's dog for a walk... from a distance we saw what looked like a dad with an Asian daughter. I blinked my eyes and looked again. Was I seeing things? Or were all dark-haired kids starting to look Asian to me? Nope, I had seen exactly what I thought I'd seen, a dad and his Chinese daughter out for a stroll. Her name was Hannah and she came home in April... she was absolutely precious.

Someday, we told ourselves afterwards. Someday that will be us.

When? asks a little voice in my head, growing louder. WHEN???? WHEN??

That little voice is good at asking questions but it's horribly silent when it comes to answers!

5 comments:

Cavatica said...

Hmmmm, like you said on my blog... you'll meet her when the time is right and not before.

My in-laws are great too!

C's Mom said...

What a wonderful trip. Beautiful pictures :0)

All the best from one 'when' asker to another!

Anonymous said...

You are too funny, I can just see you stalking them! Just wait, one day it will happen to us, or just to David and Gale... Hmmme... I would love to see the Chicago Institute - Impressionism and abstract art is my favorite - reflects my personality, from afar easy to read, but approach closer, and you'll note, I'm a little more complex and confusing...hmme. welcome home! hugs

Kim M. said...

When When When. That's all I hear in my head and from everyone else!!!

By the way I'm right there with you and the Rumor Queen Addiction.

Alyson and Ford said...

Ah,,, but our day will come...