Thursday, June 12, 2008

It's 2am and your baby is crying...



... How far will you walk to get to your baby?  My answer to that is, "I won't walk at all.  I'll reach."


Our master bedroom is so far from the kids rooms that it might as well be on another planet.  While this is ideal when one of those children is 14 years old, it's not so good when the other child is a baby.  I can't imagine Kavanna being farther than arm's reach during the night.  Ariel slept next to me and I truly believe it was a contributing factor to her sense of security and her confidence in general.  


My only question is how long she should sleep next to us instead of in her room.  I have no experience in that matter, as Ariel basically slept with me until I met David.  When she was... 


CRINGE  ....uh, she slept with me until she was... WINCE... eight years old and I made her (finally) sleep in her own bed in her own room.  


I know, I know!!  So wrong!  I can't believe I put that information out into cyberspace for all to see, but there it is.  She had her own room with her own extremely comfortable bed, but she would not sleep in it.   Obviously we're not going to repeat that particular dynamic.   


These really cute co-sleepers are only for babies up to 9 months, so we'll probably have Kavanna's crib in the room with us.   It's all about proximity.  I want her within arm's reach.


At least, that's what I'm saying now.  Check back with me when she's home and we'll see what works best for her.


Co-Sleeping Facts


What is co-sleeping?

Co-sleeping is a term commonly used to describe the act of sleeping with one's own baby in the same bed.


What are the benefits of co-sleeping?

Co-sleeping provides: Easy access to baby; Enhancement of the natural bonding process;More comfortable and efficient caregiving such as; breast feeding, soothing, comforting, diaper changing etc. than can be accomplished if the baby slept in a separate bed or bedroom.


What is the relationship between co-sleeping and S.I.D.S.?

Cultures where parents commonly co-sleep with their babies have the lowest rate of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, S.I.D.S., in the world, while cultures where parents do not commonly sleep with their babies have the highest rate of S.I.D.S.. Current studies are starting to draw a correlation between S.I.D.S. and babies who sleep in rooms by themselves. The evidence suggests that some infants may fall into abnormally deep sleep and "forget to breath". With a baby at arm's reach, parents are easily alerted to abnormal breathing or other signals of distress, that may be missed if the baby were in a separate room.


What are the possible drawbacks of co-sleeping? Can it be dangerous?

There are two common criticisms of co-sleeping. First, there is a fear that a parent might roll over on the infant causing harm. Second, some parents wonder if co-sleeping might spoil the baby. These criticisms are easy to counter. Co-sleeping can be accomplished by having a baby sleep in a bed that attaches to the parent's bed in such a way as to allow parental access while preventing the baby from rolling out and into the parent's bed. The Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper(R) bassinet is a product that accomplishes this goal. See the Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper(R) FAQ for more information.


In regards to spoiling a baby, there is no evidence that co-sleeping with a baby results in a spoiled child.


What the experts are saying:


"Besides enhancing bonding between parents and their baby, the Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper® provides night-time security that benefits a growing baby's emotional development," says Doctor William Sears, Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at the University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine and author of over one dozen guides including The Baby Book. "Sleeping g close to their infant allows parents to make up for missed touch time during the day and to reconnect with their baby at night."


Doctor James J. McKenna, Ph.D. Professor of Biological Anthropology and Director of the Mother-Baby Sleep Laboratory University of Notre Dame, agrees. "I believe that [Arm's Reach has] created an important way of making it possible for babies to receive the kind of nighttime care we all take for granted as being needed for babies during the night."


Regardless of the medical benefits, simply having your baby close can provide a sense of comfort and closeness to both parents and baby. With busy schedules and lives connecting with our children on a daily basis can be difficult. The Arm's Reach line of products greatly eases the emotional and physical burdens of child care by bringing you closer together... not to mention keep your feet warm on cold winter nights when you don't have to walk down the hall to reassure a crying baby!

Benefits:


    * A better start in life for mother and baby. Early bonding makes for a secure beginning.

    * If the child(ren) is/are restless, the mother can simply reach over and comfort them. Research confirms benefits of a quick response to a baby's needs.

    * Mother can enjoy more rest because she can reach her baby from her bed.

    * From the first day home mother and baby are able to bond and this bond carries through for the rest of their lives.


All these benefits also apply to DADDIES, I might add!!

2 comments:

Rosie said...

I co slept with our sons till they were three or four months old.
I used to have them in their little sleeping bags on top of my duvet and it was so much easier and more natural than putting them in a moses basket.
I'm not sure how it will work with a baby that is a year old and used to being in a cot on her own? Adoption is a new experience for us and just want to play it by ear.Though I do agree with co sleeping .Its just wait and see.I know when I was expecting our first son I did a plan and it went out of the window..natural birth..I wanted the drugs! Though second birth I didn't have the drugs and it was great.
Its just wait and see .Its so exciting for you!!
Yes this wait does suck and I will keep telling myself it will speed up at the end of 08.I really think we will only get our referral in 10 now though.Its seems crazy when we are only 8 months behind you and it will take another two years! I feel so sorry for first time parents.

Mel said...

We coslept for three months, then had Benjamin in the room for another two months. I loved the cosleeping for the ease of night feedings. Unfortunately once he started sleeping longer stretches, my insomnia kicked back in and I couldn't sleep with him, so he got moved to a mini cosleeper and then his crib.

I would also advise to see what her sleeping habits are like in China. And if you want to do something else to enhance bonding, try babywearing. Holler if you want any tips on wearing older kids.