Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Shaken, and stirred


This is not a post about James Bond's martini (I know, groan).  The earthquake today really shook me up.  Literally. My office is on the 12th floor and it's on rollers, so after the actual earthquake stopped, the building continued to sway.  Yikes.  

It stirred up a lot of feelings of powerlessness and helpless, which basically replicates my experience of the process of adopting from China.   Somewhere in Beijing a worker in the Matching Room will make a decision that will impact the rest of our lives.  We have zero control over any aspect of that decision, except to let them know our preference for a girl, as young as possible.   It's agonizing to feel helpless... and to wait...

The earthquake also made me think about the earthquake in China in May, so I'm also feeling very grateful that nobody was hurt in the Los Angeles area today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting analogy. Hopefully that matcher is hard at work as we "speak".

chad-roscoe said...

We don't know about these rollers in buildings, although Dave works in the Oppenheimer tower, so maybe he has them too? But he's only on the 3rd floor.
I was thinking of China too, during my ride, which is why I wondered where Ariel was. I thought of all those parents in China. What a terror! My instinct during it was just to hold on to the bookcase I was cleaning, and I thought, "Really I should have grabbed both cats and the dog and made for the outdoors or at least a doorway." I don't think I "got" what it was right away. I will have to figure out how to grab all 4 and run when Sophie comes home!
Before Thanksgiving, though, Nina, you will have one little girl from China to hold, and one little girl from America to hold. Two wonderful reasons to be thankful that we all just took a ride yesterday, eh? Both of those little girls need you to be their mommy, so hold on to those moving buildings!
xx~
Di

Rosie said...

Glad to hear you are ok.