Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Relief


This is an Assyrian "relief"... which is meant to be a play on words and communicate the idea that today I feel relief from some of my stress.  As you can tell, I am in a goofy post-hyper-anxious mood.  Today it's down to mere anxiety.
UPDATE:  our agency confirmed with the US consulate that the lack of hyphen will not be a problem.  Yayyyyyy!!   
Now w're waiting for our consulate appointment, travel info... etc.
ARIEL UPDATE:  She has a "jack and jill" bathroom which connects to Kavanna's room. When I told her the babyproofers would be babyproofing the bathroom she said, "Why?  She's not coming into MY bathroom."
Sigh.  I wisely (I think) said nothing.
We recently had Chinese take-out.  She refused to eat anything but rice, informing us, "I hate Chinese food."
Sigh.   It's tough to be fourteen years old, princess of the kingdom, and be afraid that you're going to be usurped by a baby.  I completely get it.   She won't be truly reassured until we're in China and she experiences reality... which I hope is soon!!

6 comments:

Rosie said...

Lots of emotions for you all at the moment.I'm sure that when everything is settled and you're all back at home with Kavanna,everything will be ok.

Anonymous said...

Only children don't like being de-throned. Better accept it. Someone has to be the mommy, its a good chance to show your daughter, gently, that she is not the center of the universe, before life disabuses her of that notion in a much less compassionate way.

Erin said...

I know this is easier said than done, but don't let Ariel's fear become your own. Your upbeat attitude and excitement for this trip are contagious. The more she sees your excitement as well as your continued love for her, she can't help but slowly come around. And you know what? It might take Kavanna to bring her around. It is amazing what a special little girl can do.

Much love to you! E

chad-roscoe said...

So cruel but this made me laugh. Of course she hates Chinese food now (though I personally have seen her eat quite a plateful of it!)! Pretty smart actually, because now she'll starve to death in China and then won't you two feel badly? I can see the headlines: Beautiful, talented, innocent child's death caused by offspring-greedy parents!
In a way, it's sweet too. Panic is turning your big girl into your baby girl again.
Well, love and time heal all. She will soon remember the joy of giving. I'm sure of that because she's a very wonderful girl.
xx~
Di

C's Mom said...

Glad you've had a little easing of the anxiety. Never fear, I'll pick it up for you.

Ariel WILL come around. She just needs her time to adjust and get her nose back in joint. Rut row..she probably wants to put that 'sisters' picture frame in the back of a closet right now...after tossing a rock at it ;0)

Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Nina
I am from Montreal, Canada and I have been following your blog for a few months. We are LID 21-03-07 (will be waiting long.....) and we have a 12yr-old biologic daughter who will most probably be 14-15 when we have referral.
14-15 is such a "critical" age.

I try to find adpotion families with similar age biologic children or simply families that are very atypical (older adult children welcoming a baby sister) and this seems to help my daughter identify to "others" who experience the same thing.

Recently I have followed a French family who just returned from China, the blog is in French but the pictures of their journey with their 17-yr old bio son and new china little boy just speek by themselves.

http://chinagirl-poupettedechine.blogspot.com/

I was surprised to find so many families in our situation and my daughter finds this easier, especially when the post-travel story shows that the eldest has not lost "her place and priviledges". There are probably many American families in this situation as well.

Hope you find the key to open your daughter's heart just a little, Kavanna will open the rest of it !!!

Have a great trip, I'll be with you with my heart.
GG