Thursday, September 04, 2008

About Kavanna's name



CHINESE NAME:  Lin Ying Yong
The "Lin" is her surname.  We're still awaiting her paperwork so we don't know what "Ying" or "Yong" means.
Since she comes from the Yulin SWI, all the children have the last name "Lin".   In China, the surname is placed first, so her first name is "Ying" and her middle name is "Yong".  
Although it is unusual for adoptive parents to make their child's surname the American middle name, we decided that "Kavanna Lin Rocklin" just sounded more right.  Interestingly, the last three letters of our surname are the same as hers.
Hopefully this is making sense.  Today I bolted awake at 4:45am and I'm now so sleep deprived I feel as if I cannot form cogent sentences (hey, I thought this was supposed to happen AFTER she arrived home, not before!).
AMERICAN NAME:  Kavanna (pronounced Kah-VAH-nah) is not an actual name but we thought it was so pretty and meaningful we decided to make it a name.  Kavanna is a Hebrew word that means "intention and focus and joy of life".  To us that sounded very Tao, as well, and so her name represents a bridge to both her cultures.
Kavanna Lin Rocklin... we can't wait to meet you!!


15 comments:

Christi and Abbey said...

beautiful name for a beautiful girl! what a great new subject for Ariel's photography

Lori said...

Kavanna is a beautiful name! CONGRATULATIONS!! :D

Ellen said...

Nina,
I love the way every post starts with the fantastic photo of Kavanna smiling. Clearly, she is a genius! And unfreakingly adorable too...

Tiffany said...

Congratulations.....wishing you much happiness and safe travel!

Mel said...

It's a beautiful name. I forget, is Kavanna pronounced like Savannah, or Kah-vah-nah? Which syllable do you accent? And what does Ariel think?

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

I think the name is beautiful!

Searching for Kassandra said...

Congrats on a beauty! DW and are also feeling the sleep diprevity. Hope to meet up in Guangzhou.

Bill and Kristin

XiaoXiao said...

It's a beautiful and full name. Congratulations to all of you!

Alyson and Ford said...

Cool...like her parents.
I like the name.
Correction.
I love the name.
peace
fm

Rosie said...

Gorgeous names.

Shayla's Mom said...

Congratulations! Our daughter came home from Yulin SWI last year. You will love China!

Lisa
Shayla's mom

http://andshaylamakesthree.blogspot.com/

C's Mom said...

I had your blog up in my office and I have to say when some staff walked in they were in love. Kavanna is a rock star with my medical assistants. They are all itching to see my referral and I think that adorable little photo they caught me looking at will hold them over.

chad-roscoe said...

Please forgive us from Philly if we ever nasal it into Ka vanna (like Ms. White of turn the letters fame!). We promise to try to forget where we came from!
It is a beautiful name and she is a beautiful daughter!
Hoping you get some good sleep soon!
xx~
Di &Dtoo

Susan said...

Congrats on getting her name decided!
susan

a Tonggu Momma said...

Nina - First, congrats on your referral!!!! She is adorable!

I saw your post on RQ asking for Chinese name translation help. The response you received was correct -- it's not the difference between Cantonese and Mandarin, but it could be the difference between a simplified and a traditional character. Or perhaps it's just a less common character.

Pull out your paperwork with her characters on it and see if these sites help you any:
tp://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/dictionary.html
http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/scripts/wordsearch.php
http://mysite.verizon.net/jiejie1/ChineseNames.htm

I really hope this helps you! We experienced tons of difficulty getting our daughter's name translated, so I always try to help others.