Sunday, November 02, 2008

About eight hours to go...

View from our hotel suite in Nanning

After three years, and almost three months, the wait is down to fewer than eight hours.  We arrived in Nanning yesterday,  a "small" city of about 6 million people and much different than Beijing.  We're in the sub-tropics and it seems to rain daily, which I love, coming from the relentless sunshine of Los Angeles.  Tiny shops line all the streets, some no bigger than a closet.  As in Beijing, some people cook huge pots of noodle soup in the streets or in a tiny storefront and slurp them up, talking and socializing with each other.   People stare at us a lot.  Ariel loves that, because she's a total rock star here.  
Crossing a street is a life-risking adventure.  You have to muster up the belief that you can get to the other side without being smacked by a car, bus, bicycle or moped.  There's a saying, "There are no athiests in foxholes."  Well, you can't be an athiest and cross a street in China. ("Please God, let me get to the other side of the street").
I have video footage of our trip but haven't been able to download it for some reason.
Our hotel is funky, water-stained, filthy carpet, intermittent internet, and beds that may just be made of bricks.  But we love it!!  You know why?
THERE'S A CRIB IN OUR ROOM!!!!
I'm strangely peaceful right now.  Also a little keyed up with excitement.  We leave the hotel in seven hours.   
Normally I have an ability to create dire scenarios in my mind (the bus from the orphanage will break down!  the CCAA will abruptly close all adoptions!  I will be stuck in an elevator!) but not today.  Today I am imagining the moment when they call our names and someone places Kavanna into our outstretched arms and open hearts.

21 comments:

Ellen said...

I am anxiously waiting to see you united with Kavanna...I am sure I'll be up early to view your blog full of family pics!

Doreen said...

WOW!!! It's Kavanna Day!!!! Yipee!!!!

Doreen in Montreal single mom to Faith-Jiangxi & Mia-Sichuan

Don and Be said...

Peace be with you. Your lives are about to be immeasurably enriched. Ssoo happy for your family!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I had about one minute to look at an empty crib and then the little one arrived.

Hold on tight, and enjoy it all.
Peace and love to you all.
ldw

Anonymous said...

i am beyond goosebumps...
this is such a magical moment, thank you for sharing it. pls give kavanna a kiss for me

DBW said...

I am chomping at the bits in Michigan. Suz said her room has water damage and the cribs are ancient. Wilda says the beds are actually very comfortable when she stretches out, but Suz is allergic to old dusty featherbeds, so she's not quite so enamored.

Nina said...

We are so excited for you! Can't wait to see and hear all about your big moment!

-Nina C

Searching for Kassandra said...

Good luck with your special day. I keep saying it was worth all the pain and suffering. Human "FROGGER" is one of the many facinating things here,I will never understand. Guangzhou is much more calming. All the people are so nice. Shopping is everywhere, even in the White Swan Hotel. We leave here tomorrow for Hong Kong then USA on Weds. I've been told by many friends and family. KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE PRIZE!

chad-roscoe said...

"Wonderful!" is all I can manage. I am so happy for you, and cannot wait to see the next update. I think you have definitly outpaced McCain and Obama for my attention!
xx
Di and Dave too

Anonymous said...

NINA, your hour has almost arrived. I've been thinking of you alot, thinking, if it's 8:00pm here, it will be 10:00am in China, and you may very already be on your way meeting Kavanna. I just can't wait to read more, and see the more pics, and of course the important picture of all and baby K.... take care...,xoxxo

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

OMG...you posted this 5 hours ago...so only about 3 hrs at this point. I might just have to stay up late to see Miss Kavanna!

Erin said...

Oh, yes, should have warned you about trying to cross the street in Nanning! I promise it isn't like that in Guangzhou. I have never seen anything like that before in my life. Even though the hotel was very nice when we were there, we absolutely LOVED every single thing about Nanning. I had heard that the Majestic was more run down (and yes, the beds are absolutely made of rocks - they get a little more comfortable in Guangzhou but not much) so just try to get out as much as possible.

I cannot wait to see those pictures of you with Kavanna. I'm teary eyed just thinking of it. Much love to you!!! Erin

P.S. We only have 2 more sleeps before we leave!

Samba said...

I'm so excited for you. Nanning is a great city and has a lovely park next to the waterfall at the Wharton if you need a place to walk Kavanna around. Cannot wait to see you post her happy face. It has beena long journey.....Much joy ahead.

dawn in sac

C's Mom said...

Such beautiful anticipation!

Anonymous said...

by my calculations, you've got 3 hours to tgo. it's 8 pm here in l.a., i'm so excited....drink in the moment she's in your arms...

Christi and Abbey said...

I am sorry to say that there is probably a lot of spit in the carpet. Hard to abjust to cultural thing. Obviously you know not to set Kavanna down there without a blanket, and then you have to figure out what to do with that blanket. Only one thing scarier than Chinese frogger, doing it with a stroller as I often have to do...now that's scary!! You will really appreciate the cushiness of Guangzhou. Then again, you'll be in baby heaven so it won't even really matter : ) Can't wait!

Judi said...

I can't stand the suspense. Kind of like our election for the Europeans. They're chomping at the bit. We changed the clocks last night so it's 11 pm PT and 3 pm in China. I read that China doesn't change clocks and the entire country is in a single time zone. Babbling because I JUST CAN'T STAND THE SUSPENSE.
Skye

Susan said...

If I'm doing the math on the time change right, you should be united with Kavanna in about an hour!!!

Yeah!!! Kavanna Day has arrived!!!

susan

Alyson and Ford said...

Where are the pictures? Hope all is well and you are new parents (again)!
Yes, crossing street was avoided during our trip!

Alyson
P.S. We sent you a bloggy award your way... check our blog (like you're going to have time!)

Rosie said...

Gosh I've been away and its happened so fast,just amazing.

Stephe said...

Okay, this post made me burst into tears!! I can't wait til you have her in your arms!!!!