Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Sometime during the second night  (okay, midnight to be precise) Kavanna woke up and decided that I was her mommy and she had to be near me at every moment.  Literally every moment.  She slept the rest of the night sprawled on top of me.  I had to take a shower with the curtain open and David holding her up, so that she could see me.  She outstretched her arms, screaming "Mama, Mama."  I don't know if she can walk or even stand, since every time I try to put her down she cries.  She's on my lap as I write this.  She's a "velcro baby"!  It's a great feeling when she holds out her arms to me and says, "Mama."  What a difference a day can make!

David has been able to hold her for a couple of minutes here and there.  He made her laugh when he did a funny walk for her.  Ariel made her giggle, too.  We're starting to see Kavanna's personality emerge.  Right now we just want to give her love and comfort and make her feel safe.

Ariel's self-portrait at The People's Park.
Here are some views (taken by Ariel) of the lush and beautiful People's Park.  We see a lot of people with babies (lots of girl babies", too).  Old men do tai chi or play mah jong or chess.  Some people bring music and dance.  Others play music and sing.  In L.A. the only people who dance and sing in a public park are probably schizophrenic or homeless.  Or two years old.  Here it's part of everyday life, a life that is strikingly different from ours in pace and contentment.  These people seem relaxed and happy.

The "waves" in the water are actually waves of green slime.  Icky, but beautiful.
Nina and her two girls!!
Earlier our group made an excursion to Wal-Mart for baby supplies.  

"I fell asleep on the tour bus. I'm not on a bus anymore.  Hmmmmm..."
"Where am I?  Where? Am? I?  What is this strange and bewildering place?"
"I'm in Mommy's arms.  I have my teddy bear.  Oh, I think I'm okay."

We'd never been to a Wal-Mart and it was an interesting experience.  Here are some photos of us and some members of our travel group:








13 comments:

Anonymous said...

NINA,(mama, daddy, big sis Ariel) I love the photo of Ariel, and the picture she took of the park. She is such a pro at capturing the quiet and serene beauty of it all - I also loved your description of the wave=green slime.. Now, to your little beauty. She has the funniest looks, esp. where she thinks she may cry, but then maybe not. And, the Wal-mart place, some of the parents have such stressed looks, (which I know will happen to me even more so), but you guys managed to look so calm... I hope you had fun shopping and are catching up on your sleep, and just enjoying your time. Have fun and I look forward to hearing when you leave for Guangzhou...xoxo

Doreen said...

What exactly do you do to look so good under such pressure????
Your Kavanna is adorable! Uh,2 years later and my DD#2 Mia still likes to fall asleep on me. She's been home over 2 years and she's a "healthy" 4 year old! I kinda hope she never stops! Enjoy it all!!!!
Doreen in Montreal single mom to Faith-Jiangxi & Mia-Sichuan

kitchu said...

You all look fantastic, such a beautiful family!! Glad to hear she's reaching out her arms for her "mama", that must be an amazing feeling!!

C's Mom said...

The photos are soemthing else. Miss Ariel has an eye for photography.

I love seeing you all together at last...even at Wal-Mart ;0)

Anonymous said...

ok - i'm farklempt...you are the most gorgeous family...Ariel, your photography is beautiful; you are very talented. Kavanna is delicious and obviously with her mamma and daddy and big sister. I can't wait much more....time to come back to Calabasas and I get first kiss.

DBW said...

Thanks so much for the picture, Nina.

Unknown said...

Oh Nina! I'm just overcome with delight seeing your precious Kavanna in your arms! How much she loves her mommy, especially after the first moments of back-arching on Gotcha Day. What a magical moment when she decided you are her momma. I'm sure a moment to treasure forever. There are some moments that can only be experienced through the heart.

Cavatica said...

She looks great!

Ellen said...

So lovely to see Kavanna bonding to you, and so nice to hear that she is feeling safe. Keep track of any tricks in Nanning, especially for the adolescent group. We'll be heading there soon!

Sandra said...

The scenery in your pictures is beautiful, but not as much as the precious little girl who is finally in your arms! Think of your family of four and so happy for you!

White Family said...

We are so happy for your family! Kavanna is so sweet!

Mel said...

I love seeing you wearing her! She's just adorable and I'm glad she's starting to bond to you.

chad-roscoe said...

OM goodness that little boy looks uncomfortable hanging off the front of that lady. You guys, however, look like peas in a pod!
Do you feel like te trip is zipping by?
We are loving your travelogue!
Miss you~
xx
D & D-too