Monday, November 10, 2008

Here are some of Ariel's photos of China:
Motoring around Beijing...
How cute are these pandas?  Seriously.
The face of new China...
And old China...
At the cloissoine factory.
The calligrapher at Chen Family Temple inscribing Kavanna's name in Mandarin and in English
No new photos today.  Ariel's cold turned into a fever so I'm staying in the hotel room with her.  David and Kavanna are off to the Yuntai Gardens and then the pearl market.  
Luckily there is a health clinic for hotel guests on the third floor.   The doctors prescribe both Western and Eastern medication.  Ariel had an antibiotic last night and she's feeling a little better, but still too poorly to go out.   Our suite at The White Swan is beautiful, so she's very comfortable... she took a bath in the spa tub and she's on the mend.
Our travel buddy Karen described Shamian Island as "Disneyland", which is a very apt description.  It's quite sanitized and very Western in appearance.  We're thankful for our stay in Nanning, which was more of an authentic experience.  China blends old traditions with a changing world... on the streets you can see ancient, wrinkled faces of old people who seemingly stepped out of the past, wearing Mao jackets and somewhat stern expressions (until they break into unexpected smiles and reveal gold or uneven teeth)... and the faces of new China, a younger generations talking on cell phones and wearing the latest fashions.
Our last day in People's Park we saw a group of teenagers who were sitting in a circle and playing truth or dare.  They dared each other to do things like stand on one leg in the middle of their circle or run backwards around the temple.  Very sweet and much more innocent than the kids here.  They wanted photos with us and Kavanna and spoke to us in English ("Welcome to China," said one young guy).
We return home on the 14th.  We already can't wait to come back to China.  It's unlike any place we've been... staggeringly poor amidst incredible wealth... enormous cities that stretch forever... and people who for the most part are warm and welcoming.   I feel sad that we're taking Kavanna away from her homeland, but we will definitely be coming back as much as possible.  I love China!!  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told you I check every 10 minutes. Hope Ariel gets well quickly....love to you all

chad-roscoe said...

Wow! I am so amazed by your good writing. I think David has competition! I cannot believe how fast your trip as gone. As much as I want you to be home to start family life, I also want you to stay in China and tell me more, more, and more! I cannot imagine we will ever get there, and it sounds wonderful, as does your daughter. I hope she feels better soon, poor little peanut!
xx~
Di and Dave too

Nina said...

Nina and family,

I've been enjoying your blog every step of the way. Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us.

-Nina C.

Christi and Abbey said...

Wow Nina, you sound just like I did about leaving China. I knew I would be coming back. It is an amazing place and I know you will want Kavanna to have any connections to her birth culture that she can.

C's Mom said...

I hope Ariel is continuing to perk up.

What an amazing trip. Truly. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of it.

Your photos have really captured the true essence of your experience and I have really enjoyed them.

Don and Be said...

Once again, wonderful photos, Ariel, capturing the character of the country and it's people.