Saturday, November 01, 2008

Tianmen Square, Forbidden City, The Great Wall

It's 3am in China and I can't sleep!!  We leave for the airport in a couple of hours to fly to Nanning.  Our group was told yesterday that we get the babies at 3pm on Monday instead of 2:30.  What??  We have to wait an extra half an hour??  Noooooooooooooo.

Here are some photos from today.  After our tour we drove by the Olympic stadiums, the "birds nest" and the water stadium.  I know there's a name for it, and a nickname, but I can't think of it.  Did I mention it's 3am and my synapses are not firing??

Kavanna Day is tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!
On our way up The Great Wall.  This gives you some idea of how steep the wall is in places - especially the places where we climbed it!
David in one of the guard towers.  We climbed from the very bottom, which you can see far below.

The view from one of the towers at The Great Wall.  The steps are very steep, nearly (and I'm not exaggerating) vertical and very uneven.  Some are a foot high, some are a few inches high.  It was quite a challenge to climb the wall, and exhilarating!!
A tiny portion of the (enormous) Forbidden City
Monks at The Forbidden City

The military policeman stand very still (like the guards at Buckingham Palace).  You're not supposed to photograph them, but...
A million people can fit into Tianamen Square.  I think a million people were there yesterday.

21 comments:

MStebby said...

Nina,
Thanks for posting your photos. I can't wait... we leave on Wednesday. We get to Guangzhou on Nov 15, will you still be there? I was hoping we could finally meet.

Have a great day getting your little one! I know you'll be on cloud 9!

Maryanne

Sherri said...

What great pictures. I can't wait to see your pictures tomorrow - you will be on cloud 9!
Sherri

Judi said...

Great photos, Nina. That building is called the Water Cube. At 3 a.m., it's not surprising you couldn't remember. Jet lag's awful: hope you can get some sleep before Monday.
Skye

Anonymous said...

Amazing photos. Ariel - you are just gorgeous. 2 more days.....
xoxox

Susan said...

Nina~ I cannot believe that you're only 1 day from meeting Kavanna!!! I can't wait to see the pix of your gotcha day.

susan aka ladeeesquire

Ellen said...

Nina,
I have thoroughly been enjoying your posts and photos! I can't wait to see you, David, Ariel, and Kavanna as a family altogether, at last!!!

Judi said...

One more thing - just FYI because it's so bizarre. Here it's mid-afternoon Saturday and we're in the midst of thunderstorms! 67 degrees and raining... YAY!

Nina said...

Nina-

Just wanted to say HI and I'm enjoying your blog. It's really neat looking at blogs now and seeing places that we have been. Good luck tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you guys!!!

-Nina
(LA waiting parents)

Anonymous said...

Your trip looks amazing. We're in the process of making our travel arrangements. I found your blog when you left a comment on ours; thanks for connecting with us.

Barbara, Rich and Leah

Cavatica said...

Catching up here and you're in China! Oh boy... a girl!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great photos! Can't wait to see it in person. It looks like maybe you had some cold weather ... everybody looks like they are all bundled up. Maybe we need to pack a couple more pieces of warmer clothes so we can layer while we are there (hopefully in about one month).

Can't wait to see photos from your "gotcha day" ... you really are close! Good luck!

C's Mom said...

SOOOOO excited! Again, beautiful photos. The most fabulous ones are to come when Kavanna joins your family.

Please get some sleep..just a blink or two.

Anonymous said...

Nina:

Kathy & I are enjoying your blog. Tell David we got the url from Catherine Pensanti. I think David should use the pic from the great wall for his book's back cover! Best of luck on Monday.
David: Lakers are now 3-0.

Curt Mahler

Laura said...

Greetings from FL! I'm visiting the family but thankful for internet...I can be on vacation and still be updated on your journey. Wonderful pics and I'm on eggshells awaiting for the next batch ~ with Kavanna! Thinking of you!

xoxo
~Laura

chad-roscoe said...

Holey-moley! We are going into training!
So, is gotcha day Mondya here but Sunday here? We are confused and so excited for you!
xx~
D&D

Melissa said...

Nina,

Thank you for all your wonderful comments on my blog!! I am so excited I get to relive the trip with you! You described the Great Wall perfectly. I can't wait to ssee Kavanna in your arms!!

Tiffany said...

can't wait to see you all together!

Patti said...

Nina:

Thank you so much for the photos and your wonderful blog! I found your site through RQ a couple of months ago and have been following your journey ever since. Even on the most difficult of days, you have provided levity and hope to this seemingly never-ending process. (I have a 3/17/06 LID).

Warm wishes for a wonderful Kavanna Day!!

Patti

kitchu said...

I'm so far behind on blogs, cannot believe you are so close to meeting Kavanna!!! So excited for you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Great pics and excited to be following around on your journey! Our thoughts are with you for Monday afternoon...
Greg & Rob

Don and Be said...

How fortunate you were to experience Beijing in jacket weather. We were there in mid-July and the relentless heat was familiar as we live in Central Florida. Here, I don't venture out in the heat of the day, so I was officially classified as a tourist as I sweated my way around Beijing.
We are so jazzed for your family and await news of your first meeting with Kavanna.